Vacancy: Independent Directors
England Basketball is a company limited by guarantee and is undertaking an open recruitment process to appoint three independent directors to its Executive Board. The positions are voluntary, with reasonable expenses, for a three year term. The board meets on average six times per year plus the Annual General Meeting.
The Executive Board consisting of nine directors, five elected by the members, an Independent Chair with three appointed to bring specialist skills that can be utilised at Board level. The organisation is committed to equal opportunities and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
“Independent”, in the context of Executive Board members, means someone who is free from any close connection with the Association and who, from the perspective of an impartial outsider, would be perceived as independent, bringing a dispassionate objectivity that could otherwise be inhibited by a close connection (e.g. regular active involvement in the affairs of the Association or a fiduciary interest) through regional or national representation, affiliation or other interests.
Experience and Skills Required:
We are looking for the three independent directors to complement the Executive Board with specific skills and experience in at least one of the following areas:
2) Marketing / Communication
In addition all applicants should be able:
• To see the big picture and make sensible, astute business decisions.
• To distinguish between the separate but complementary roles of governance and management.
• To understand the position of the organisation in its markets and its relationship to key stakeholders.
• To ensure that the board adopts a strategic approach to increasing basketball participation.
• To have some knowledge of and/or experience in the sport of basketball.
• To participate actively and harmoniously, respecting and valuing the contributions of others and contributing to effective teamwork.
• To remain objective and measured under pressure.
Please submit your expression of interest and CV, illustrating your skills and experience, to the Company Secretary, England Basketball, Unit 2, 1 Arena Court, Sheffield, S9 2LF, by 5pm Thursday 18 October 2012
. Information regarding England Basketball can be obtained via the website (www.englandbasketball.co.uk
) or by phoning the Company Secretary (0114 2841070). Successful applicants should be interviewed in Sheffield between the October 22 and 31 2012.