Vacancy: Independent Chair
England Basketball is a company limited by guarantee, with a vision to provide “Basketball for All” and aiming for a governance structure reflecting good practice, while allowing for open recruitment of independent directors to the board and adequate protection for its members.
Accordingly, England Basketball’s recent Annual General Meeting, following a proposal from the board, has amended the company’s Memorandum and Articles of Association to provide for the immediate appointment of an Independent Chair.
The company’s Articles now provide for an Executive Board of nine, five of whom are elected by the members, plus the Independent Chair and three additional independent directors bringing specialist skills that can be utilised at board level.
“Independent”, in the context of Executive Board members, means someone who is free from any close connection with the Association and who, from the perspective of an impartial outsider, would be perceived as independent, bringing a dispassionate objectivity that could otherwise be inhibited by a close connection (e.g. regular active involvement in the affairs of the Association or a fiduciary interest) through regional or national representation, affiliation or other interests.
The position is voluntary, with reasonable expenses, for an initial three year term. The board meets on average six times per year plus the Annual General Meeting.
Experience and Skills Required
Applicants should be able:
• To provide leadership to the board by ensuring the effective management of governance processes while adopting a strategic approach to increasing basketball participation and setting the direction of the organisation.
• To chair board meetings and to ensure that discussion focuses on issues that clearly belong to the board while observing a recognised process for efficient board discussion.
• To distinguish between the separate but complementary roles of governance and management, and to work closely with the Chief Executive.
• To understand the position of the organisation in its markets and its relationship to key stakeholders, partners and sponsors.
• To have a knowledge of and/or experience in the sport of basketball.
• To participate with integrity, valuing the contributions of others and promoting teamwork.
• To remain objective and measured under pressure.
Please submit your expression of interest and CV, illustrating your skills and experience, to the Company Secretary, England Basketball, Unit 2, 1 Arena Court, Sheffield, S9 2LF, by 5pm Thursday 4 October 2012
. Information regarding England Basketball can be obtained via the website (www.englandbasketball.co.uk
) or by phoning the Company Secretary (0114 2841070).
Successful applicants will be interviewed in Sheffield between October 10 and 18 2012.