Inspired Facilities Funding
This is a £50 million programme to refurbish and improve up to 1,000 community sports clubs. Investment will be available to breathe new life into tired facilities that can be unattractive to sports participants, expensive to run and difficult to maintain, putting these clubs right back at the heart of their local communities. There will also be money available to convert existing buildings into venues that are suitable for grassroots sport.
At least £35 million of the funding will go to community and voluntary organisations, through grants of between £20,000 and £50,000. The remaining money will be open to a wider group of organisations, including councils and schools, with grants of up to £150,000 available.
The funding could help your club to install a new sports hall floor or purchase new fixed equipment such as retractable backboards and hoops.
Budget and timing
- There will be 5 funding rounds of £10M with one in 2011/12, two in 2012/13 & two 2013/14.
- Up to 70% of the funding has been set aside for community and voluntary sector projects and up to 30% for Local Authority projects.
- This is not a "dash for cash" - applicants must be able to make a good case for funding.
- Applications from £20,000-£150,000 will be accepted (A grant of £150,000 will be the exception rather than the norm and only available to Local Authority projects which can demonstrate a strategic rational to their application)
- Round 1 applications will begin in August 2011.